Thursday, March 17, 2011

Censorship Problems

Since I haven't posted in a week, some of you must have been thinking that I would be lazy again this semester and not post much. Well, think again!
The VPN that I use is apparently very popular in China and so the Chinese government decided to start blocking its servers, thus not allowing me to use Facebook, blogspot etc. for over a week. Thankfully, my VPN is quite beastly and they have come up with a way to ghost themselves to Chinese censors.

I was unable to make it to "The Place" shopping center but I am going to try again soon.

The one thing that I really missed about China, is the food. There are really just soo many kinds of dishes and styles to try. I recently found a dish that looks and tastes very similar to Lo Mein in America, I forget the name of it. Also, I am trying to make a better effort of eating healthy, and have been stocking up on bananas, apples and oranges. Spring time is also the time of year for pineapples in China, which happens to be my favorite fruit! Many of you know I am quite lazy and so I hate having to cut pineapple up, and in America its very expensive to buy pre-cut pineapple but in China you can buy a half of pineapple on a stick for 2 RMB or about 30 US cents!!!!



From now on, I think I will also be including interesting news articles about China that I think are worth reading and maybe give my opinion as well, if it warrants it.

Here are three:

The first one is about a Tibetan monk who lit himself on fire to commerorate the 3rd anniversary of the Tibetan protests.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article1546272.ece

And the second one, which I am really excited about is the high-speed rail line between Beijing and Shanghai
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90778/90860/7323191.html

The third is a follow-up to the second one, and about the different priorities of the US and China in regard to high speed rail
http://www.dailytech.com/US+States+Abandon+HighSpeed+Rail+as+China+Races+Ahead/article21107.htm

1 comment:

  1. Saw a great Frontline documentary on Ai Weiwei - have you heard of him? I think he lives in Beijing.

    ReplyDelete