Saturday, September 4, 2010

First Big Weekend

This weekend was the first weekend since I have been in Beijing that I could go out (also only my 2nd weekend) but I made it count. Friday night I went out with the daughter of the family I stayed with and met up with a bunch of her friends. It was a blast, even though she was the only one that could speak English.

We spent most of our time at a lounge/bar called Pure Girl and we played Chinese drinking games involving dice and cards. I also taught them how to play Kings, which they loved because it involved far more drinking then their games. 

An interesting thing about going out in China (maybe its done in the US but I have never done it), is that when you go with a group of people you dont buy your own drinks you buy a bottle of whichever alcohol that you like and share. And so we went through 2 bottles of Whiskey and the bartender bought us a few rounds of tequila sunrises. They also made me take a shot of absinthe because I was the guest (i think).

Later at about 2, we moved to KTV or karaoke bar and sang until 4 AM. They made me sing every Lady Gaga song there was because young Chinese people are OBSESSED with her!

I will post pictures on Monday because that is when I am getting my camera back from Mrs. Pi. She held onto it because I was having furniture delivered to my apartment and its not safe to leave valuables around. Also, the posts will be become more frequent and more than just about what I am doing but about observations etc because I will have internet in my apartment finally! Oh yeah its only $120 for a whole year! And i think its a 10 MB download!

On Monday, I pick classes and learn more about what school is going to be like so will have tons about that as well.

Stay tuned!

Sorry for all the bad grammar and spelling mistakes but I have so much to do that I dont have time to read over what I wrote.

2 comments:

  1. Great start -- go for it. One way I found in Germany to get the language is to go shopping for food. You can pick greens and point and ask for the name, then the price. Same thing with other stalls at markets.
    In Germany all my friends wanted to stay in English (to increase their fluency). They would stay in German for about fifteen minutes at a time when I asked them to indulge me. As I got better the time got to one-half hour.
    Sorry I missed your party but I had to work to 8:00 PM.
    Gung Hei Fat Choi (phonetic Cantonese) or live long an prosper (in Star Trek) for the next two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable firt days in China! I would give anything to see you and your friends in the Karoake Bar singing Lady Gaga!

    ReplyDelete