Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Good Winter

Yesterday, was I think, the first sign of winter. We had about two weeks of beautiful fall weather (my favorite season) but yesterday it got COLD! It was about 4 degrees Celsius or 40 degrees Fahrenheit, with a cold breeze and a slight rain and from here on out it is only expected to get colder. Winter weather in Beijing is similar to Ithaca, NY, where I went to college, so I am used to the cold weather. But I am sad that autumn was so short.

You may be wondering why I am devoting a whole post to the changing of the seasons but the thing in Beijing that is so different from Ithaca, is that there is no heat in almost all buildings until November 15th!!! That is the first day the government allows most apartment buildings to begin heating the buildings. It is a way to conserve energy, I think. In other words, my apartment is FREEZING. I only wear sweatpants, sweatshirts and two pairs of socks. I also have about five candles lighted to give off heat. I am seriously considering buying a small space heater, it is that bad. The only good news out of all this, is that in the morning I get ready so much quicker and get to school earlier because the sooner I get my clothes and coat on, the sooner I am warm.

Hope everyone is warm in America!

1 comment:

  1. I am having a similar problem in Texas... It's November, and we haven't even had anything that resembles a fall season yet!

    So if it makes you feel better, I miss fall too!!!

    (and I miss you too!)stay warm over there.

    ReplyDelete