Monday, October 11, 2010

My Short Take on Liu Xiaobo and Democracy in China

 I try and stay away from political topics as much as I can but this one is just way to important.

I have read much about China's political system, politics and society these last few years and every time I became more unsure of the future of Democracy in China, and for that matter if Democracy is even right for China. However, in these last few days, I have realized that for as much as the Communist Party has accomplished in the last 20 years, that without the very basic of human rights what does it matter. How can the Party profligate all of their successes while ignoring all that they have taken from people?

There were and are many excuses for why Democracy could never work in China, from to many people to the type of social structure Chinese society is, but I say if you never give people the chance then of course Democracy won't succeed. I have only been here for a month (3 months living in China total) but I can say that the Chinese people are dynamic and resourceful and even with 1.3 billion people they could make work.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, I'm glad you've been learning from different sources and experiences to draw your conclusions from.

    ReplyDelete